Friday, January 7, 2011

Personal Blog Day.

The book I had been waiting so long for finally came to the local library. The Way of Kingsby Brandon Sanderson. It didn't just miraculously appear, because I told them to order it for me. The weighty feeling of a large tome of a book by a great author is always reassuring, since the adventure waiting in the pages will be a grand one. The fact that this 800+ page opus has received hail from authors such as Orson Scott Card is even more reassuring. I spent the morning (12:00 PM for me) reading it. It definitely has promise. But an hour before I go to work, I get an alarming text from my girlfriend. Now, I love her. She's very precious to me. She's beautiful beyond measure. Yet before she went to sleep last night, I told her I would surprise her by coming over and cooking breakfast for her. But then I thought about the snow storm encroaching where I live, the forecasts saying it would start in the wee hours of morning. Thinking that the surprise would have to wait till Saturday, I didn't wake up very early. By 3:00 PM, there was no snow on the ground. By 3:00 PM, I have a mad girlfriend, who had been expecting a surprise all day. I tried to explain, but my explanations sounded like just a lot of words.
" Saturday," I said. "I was planning for Saturday, I thought it was going to snow today."
"Baby, I love you," I say again.
Both of us upset, we hung up, both having received words we didn't want to hear. I think back to yesterday night, Tuesday, and Sunday. I brought her to dinner on Sunday. To lunch on Tuesday. A chef came to cook a special meal for us last night.
I love her, and hate that we have to be angry at each other for miscommunication. I'm angry at myself for not clarifying my words before I hung up on her last night, before bed. But how can you surprise someone by telling them the day you wish to surprise them? Does that not ruin the surprise? Confused, I sit here writing this.
If she's reading this now, or if she reads it some time in the next month, I would tell her I love her. I would tell her she means the world to me. But I've treated her to lunch, dinner, and dinner this week. Its unfair to be angry at me for not returning the gesture of bringing over breakfast in the morning when I have given her something thrice over in the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment