Saturday, January 8, 2011

Neon Lights are Dangerous

Especially when they fall directly overhead. Today at work (five years at a local movie theater, I am still a concessionist, and I am 21 years old, about to graduate college) my assistant manager climbed up on top of the overhang above the concession area to get rid of some hanging Harry Potter posters. Our theater is strang, since our main concession area is an island in the middle of the floor. The menu posters are placed on an overhead construction that hangs from the ceiling by steel poles. Lining the overhead "thing" (thats the only word that comes to mind for it) are two levels of neon lights. When my assistant manager made it up to the overhang (thats the word I'm looking for!) His shirt cuff tapped one of the neon lights and the whole side fell, breaking glass into a million pieces. I had to throw out all the nacho trays I had been preparing, not to mention the fact that I would have been hit had it not been for my catlike reflexes. Close call.

Whoops, I already knew the word "overhang". And used it. Must be the trauma. Ha.
It's not like I would have died or been electrocuted, though. But I probably don't want whatever powder coating the insides of the neon tubes in my blood system. That would be unhealthy.

After a meal at Denny's with one of my friends, I drove home in the snow, and almost got into an accident not even a quarter mile from my house. Thank god that guy turned left when he did, because I had my foot on the brakes, and my tires might as well have been skis for all the help they were. Phew. The adrenaline rush from that made my legs burn.

On a side note, since I have been playing Total War, I have started thinking strategically about everything. I'm starting to think high school should have required everyone to play chess, because strategic thinking is a powerful tool, in my opinion. For example, how would I generate readers in this blog? Clearly, adding labels for my post wouldn't be all too useful, and so far, it looks like most of the site referrals are from Facebook. I guess I have to keep at it, although with the sheer amount of work to look forward too this next (and final) semester may keep me from even writing a few paragraphs on a blog more than once a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment